- 1 Collecting Data in the Mobile App
- 2 Searching Records
- 3 Editing Local Records on Device
- 4 Uploading Data
- 5 Using Navigation Feature
Collecting Data in the Mobile App
To collect data using the mobile app you must first link your account to your device (see first Time Setup instructions).
Selecting a Collection Dictionary
First, select Change Dictionary from the main menu. Here you will find a list of all of your account's collection dictionaries which are available to you. Yellow buttons are folders and blue buttons are the actual dictionaries. The dictionary you are looking for may be in a folder depending on how your account administrator has set it up.
If you don't see the dictionary you are looking for, first try refreshing your dictionaries (Main Menu→Refresh dictionary list). If after refreshing you still do not see the dictionary in your list contact your account administrator.
Once in the collection dictionary you will be presented by a screen showing either a map (centered on your current location) or black screen with a white paw print (it is Golden Retriever after all) depending on your Mapping settings in the main menu.
Creating Records from Pre-existing Data
When existing pole data has been uploaded into the dictionary you will see a map with red map markers on it. These markers turn green as new inspections have been completed. You may toggle the green markers on/off using the Green markers on map main menu item to ensure no undone red markers still exist.
Note: because the map view zooms in on your current location you may have to zoom out and scroll to the correct location if you are not physically in the area with the pole data.
- To create an inspection record, tap on the marker of the pole you are at to view the details of the existing record and then tap the
Create newto create a new record based on that existing data. From here you can:
- View the existing data in the collection form
- Create a new record based on the existing data, including the new inspection information. Tap the floppy disc save icon at the bottom-right of the screen.
- To edit any of the supplied pole data (normally these pre-populated fields are locked by default) tap the red
Alter original databutton at the top to unlock these fields (i.e. height, class, species, etc).
- To cancel, tap the trash can (discard) icon on the bottom-left of the screen. This will exit you out of the data collection screen without creating a new record.
- To add a photo to the record simply tap the camera (take photo) icon on the bottom-center of the screen. This will open your device's camera app from which you can take a photo (Image size is dependent on the device's camera app settings, so these may need to be changed if the files are too large). Selecting this multiple times will add additional photos to the record.
Creating Records from Scratch
When no existing pole data has been uploaded into the dictionary you may simply click on the button on the bottom of the screen
Click here to manually enter a record.
This will open the data collection screen (as set up by your account administrator).
- To save a record tap the floppy disc (save) icon at the bottom-right of the screen.
- To cancel, tap the trash can (discard) icon on the bottom-left of the screen. This will exit out of the data collection screen without creating a new record.
- To add a photo to the record simply tap the camera (take photo) icon on the bottom-center of the screen to open your device's camera app (Image size is dependent on the device's camera app settings). Selecting this multiple times will add additional photos to the record.
If you have the Auto-upload setting in the Preferences section of the main menu set to Off your map will show green markers for completed poles. Tapping on these markers will allow you to review and edit the saved record. Once the record has been uploaded its corresponding map marker will be gone from your map.
Golden Retriever automatically requests the most accurate GPS coordinates available from the device (either the built in receiver or a Bluetooth connected receiver) when a new record is started. The app will then save those coordinates when the record is saved. Changes to your required accuracy can be made in the Required GPS accuracy menu item. Note: changes to these settings can cause extra time for Golden Retriever to obtain the more specific GPS coordinates.
Using the search icon (magnifying glass in upper-right hand corner) you may search records on the server providing that your Online search setting is set to On. You can search:
- Uploaded records by any user of the dictionary
- Utility supplied data
When the search bubble opens, select the field you wish to search, enter the value to search and then tap the
OKbutton. You are able to perform wildcard searches by adding a * into your search value. For example, to find all results that end in 55, enter *55 into the search box. To find all entries simply enter a single * into the search box. Some fields may not be searchable depending on how the account administrator has set up the collection dictionary.
Local Records on Device
In order to view records still on your device you must use the green map markers. From there you can view and edit the data by tapping the marker and then the red
Open local Record button at the bottom of the summary bubble.
Editing Local Records on Device
To make changes to a local record, tap the pole's map marker and scroll to the bottom of the bubble. Tap the red
Open local Record to open the record for editing. Make any necessary changes and save the record. You may also add any required photos to the record.
Different upload settings are available to allow for poor cellular coverage and data cost concerns. The Auto-upload setting main menu item can be set to:
- Off - no automatic uploading of any kind. With this setting, all records and photos must be manually uploaded using the Manual upload main menu item.
- Data and photos - all records and their associated photos will be uploaded as the records are saved and cellular connectivity is available.
- Data only - all records will be uploaded automatically. Photos must still be uploaded manually.
When the existing pole asset information has been uploaded into the collection dictionary it is possible to access your device's navigation features. To use this, tap on the map marker you wish to travel to, scroll to the bottom of the Asset Data bubble and tap the blue
Navigate to asset button. Golden Retriever will then pass the pole's location to your device's navigation app for directions.